What is the meaning of the furniture term S-Scroll?

A s-scroll is a type of decorative form that is carved or applied in the shape of an S. It can be either continuous or broken, depending on the design. S-scrolls are commonly used as corner and apron ornaments in various architectural and decorative applications.

These decorative elements add an aesthetic touch to furniture, woodwork, metalwork, and architectural features. The flowing curves of the S-shaped design create a sense of elegance and movement. They can be found in various historical architectural styles, including Renaissance, Baroque, and Rococo.

S-scrolls are often used to accentuate corners, providing a decorative frame or emphasis on important architectural elements, such as doorways, windows, and cabinets. They can also be used as apron ornaments, adding ornamental detailing to the bottom edge of furniture, mirrors, or other surfaces.

In addition to their ornamental value, s-scrolls can also serve practical purposes, such as providing structural support or reinforcing joints. Their intricate design and craftsmanship showcase the skill and creativity of artisans and craftsmen.

S-scrolls are versatile decorative forms that add a touch of visual interest and sophistication to various architectural and decorative elements, making them a popular choice in interior design and artistic craftsmanship.

Carved or applied decorative form in the shape of an S, continuos or broken. Used as corner and apron ornament.
Previous term: Rustication Next term: Sabot

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.