What is the meaning of the furniture term Castellated?

The furniture term castellated refers to a design element that resembles the fortifications or battlements of a castle. It typically involves decorative details that are reminiscent of the crenellations found on castle walls, with notched or stepped patterns on the top or edges of furniture pieces. This design feature is often seen on headboards, tabletops, or other decorative elements in furniture, adding a touch of architectural flair to the piece. Architecturally a regurarly pierced cornice, from the parapets of fortified castles.
Previous term: Cassone Next term: Castor

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.