What is the meaning of the furniture term C-Scroll?

Carved C-shaped design found in 17th century French and Flemish work. A C-scroll refers to a decorative scroll-shaped design motif commonly found in furniture, particularly in the legs and backs of chairs, tables, and cabinets. This ornamental element resembles the letter C and is characterized by its flowing and sinuous curves. C-scrolls are often associated with various design styles, including Rococo, Baroque, and Art Nouveau, and are used to add a sense of elegance and fluidity to furniture pieces.
Previous term: Butternut Next term: Cabinet

Copyright 2024 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.