What is the meaning of the furniture term Bombe?

Convex surface, swelling, bulging fronts and sides. The term bombe refers to a style of furniture characterized by its curved and swollen shape, resembling a bulging or rounded form. It originated in the mid-18th century during the Rococo period and became particularly popular in French furniture design. Bombe furniture typically features curved, convex fronts and sides, often adorned with intricate carvings, gilding, or decorative elements. This style is commonly found in chests of drawers, commodes, cabinets, and other storage pieces. The term bombe is derived from the French word for bomb, reflecting the furnitures distinctive rounded shape.
Previous term: Bolection Next term: Bonheur De Jour

Copyright 2024 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.