What is the meaning of the furniture term Pulvinated Frieze?

Pulvinated frieze refers to a decorative element commonly found in classical architectural design, especially in ancient Greek and Roman buildings. It consists of a convex or curved band that runs horizontally along the upper part of a architectural feature or piece of furniture, such as a column or the top of a wall. The convex shape resembles a cushion or a pillow, which is where the term pulvinated comes from (derived from the Latin word pulvinus meaning cushion). The frieze is often ornately carved or embellished, adding a decorative element to the overall design. Cornice molding having a convex face.
Previous term: Provincial Next term: Puritan

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.