What is the meaning of the furniture term Flutes?

The term flutes refers to a decorative vertical grooved pattern often found on columns, table legs, or chair legs. Flutes can be shallow or deep and are typically evenly spaced to create an aesthetically pleasing design. Hollows or channels cut perpendicularly in columns. Flutings are applied to pilasters, legs, friezes, aprons.
Previous term: Flush Bead Next term: Fly Rail

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.