What is the meaning of the furniture term Flemish Scroll?

Flemish Scroll refers to a design element commonly found in furniture, especially in antique or traditional styles. It refers to a decorative carving or scrollwork feature that resembles a curled or scrolled shape, often seen on chair or table legs, arms, or backs. This design feature originated in Flanders, a region in western Europe known for its rich history of wood carving and furniture craftsmanship. Flemish Scroll adds an ornate and elegant touch to furniture pieces, showcasing the skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail that went into their creation. Baroque double scroll on chair legs. The lower curve is a C-scroll, the upper a reversed C-scroll.
Previous term: Flemish Next term: Flip Flop Table

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.