What is the meaning of the furniture term Down?

Down typically refers to a type of filling used in cushions, pillows, and upholstery. Down is the plumage found beneath the exterior feathers of waterfowl, such as ducks or geese. It is known for its softness, warmth, and ability to provide luxurious cushioning. Down-filled furniture or cushions tend to be soft, fluffy, and comfortable. The underplumage of fowl, used in upholstering for the filling of soft cushions.
Previous term: Dower Chest Next term: Draft Chair

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.