What is the meaning of the furniture term Crescent Stretcher?

Bowed or concave stretcher on Windsor chair. A crescent stretcher refers to a decorative element that connects the legs or supports of a piece of furniture, creating stability and reinforcing the structure. It typically takes the form of a curved or crescent-shaped rod that connects either two or more legs, or the lower sections of the supports. The crescent stretcher can add aesthetic appeal and create a unique design element in furniture.
Previous term: Credenza Next term: Cresting

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.