What is the meaning of the furniture term Chamfer?

Groove, splayed, or beveled-off corner of a molding or post. The term chamfer refers to a design element or technique used to create a beveled or angled edge or surface. It involves cutting or shaping the edges of a piece of furniture at an angle other than 90 degrees, resulting in a slightly sloping or angled edge that can be seen and felt. Chamfering is often done to add visual interest, refine the appearance of a piece, or to reduce sharp edges for safety purposes.
Previous term: Chamber Horse Next term: Chandelier

Copyright 2023 - Furniture Glossary. All rights reserved.